Wednesday, June 16, 2004

The ice cream haunts me. And spooky goffic music.

Apparently chocolate ice cream is still available in Texas, too... and there are a couple stores in Michigan that still have the tiny kiddie cones.

I finally got around to buying a Switchblade Symphony cd after five years of putting it off... and it ranged from absolutely gorgeous to flat-out embarrassing. Tina Root has a beautiful voice; but about half the time she sounds like she's trying to impersonate Billy Corgan, which doesn't work for anyone besides Billy Corgan. On a couple of the songs the lyrics are akin to reading an angsty 13-year-old's poetry notebook. Actual lyrics:

"I feel that you should know
I have an empty soul" (Invisible)

"You don't know where to start
Just look into your heart" (Therapy)

"When did this all start?
When did I fall apart?" (Wicked)
(I think)

It is good sometimes though... one song, "Invitation," is quickly becoming one of my favorite songs. There's an incredibly badass instrumental... reminiscent of Skinny Puppy, in a way. The first track, "Invisible," manages to recover from the massive misstep of the first two lines (see first example above). Samples of GOOD lyrics:

"Take my back roads
Round my fences
To an empty view
Climb the ladder
Straight to heaven
Where the creatures dulcify gods and devils
Take their pillows
Get in position to multiply" (Invisible)

"So they visit you in the dead of night
They make love alone
They say that it's alright
That it's just the same
Do you like them?
Do you want them?
They've invited you
They have chosen you to take a trip
They bring promises of a nearly perfect way
So they reach for you
With beauty and such grace
With their fragile hands
It's you that they've embraced
They are not the same" (Invitation)


The whole thing is very Anne Gwish (for those of you who've read JTHM)... very masturbatory in its gloom-and-doom. It gave me a mental image of a 15-year-old wannabe goth (or "goff", as wannabe goths will hereinafter be referred to) standing in front of Hot Topic, raggedy-ass poetry notebook in hand, shrieking "I'M SPOOKY!!!1!1!!11! LOOK AT MEEEEEEEE!!!111!!11!!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home