Thursday, February 17, 2005

...This is MY problem now?

The other night, my sister's friend joined us for Japanese food at Yamado. Dad poked a little fun at her ineptitude at writing Japanese (she scribbled out about every other character she wrote), and she EXPLODED. She sat there and bitched for a good five or ten minutes, all "let's see you do better" and "you always make fun of me when I have friends over" and such. Later that night, I was on the computer and Dad came up to me and told me to tell her that "her outburst at dinner was so shockingly unacceptable that if she ever does it again, the punishment will be so swift and severe that it will take her breath away."

Me: "Why don't YOU tell her?"

Dad: "Because she'll just yell at me. She won't listen."

Me: "You think she'll listen to ME? I can't get her to bring me empty hangers from her closet so I can hang her clothes."

So apparently, my parents' raising Brynne to consider herself autonomous from the rest of the family is MY problem to deal with now. Apparently they see no need to rectify the situation of her unwillingness to listen to them and to stop fucking mouthing off so much. I wasn't the greatest kid at her age (15) but I'll be damned if I was so disrespectful. She hasn't done her chores in over a year and a half, and who picks up her slack? ME. She got enough birthday money to buy herself a fucking iPod when they still cost $400, and when I ask for one for my birthday (I've gotten new computers and tablets in years past, now that iPods are down to $200 or so it's not that much to ask), I get laughed at and told that Brynne bought hers herself. (Come to think of it, I don't even think that's true- I'm pretty sure she only paid half.) Brynne has nothing that she has to spend her money on. I have a car that I work two jobs AND do all my chores to support, on top of going to school. I should take money away from funds for those expenses to buy myself something I obviously can't afford on my own because Brynne spent her money on one instead of on clothes or more Utena shit? "These are decisions you'll have to make in the real world." In the real world I won't be spending forty hours a week working for free and twenty hours working for hourly pay to be able to afford the privilege of paying $60,000 to maybe get a $25,000/yr job in four or five years.

Meanwhile, Brynne gets money for doing jack shit except living another year, doesn't pull her weight around the house, mouths off to anyone who won't let her do what she wants, and I AM BEING HELD TO THIS EXAMPLE? I am expected to be able to buy things because she can? I am unable to buy the things she does, and apparently I don't deserve to be able to because I have less money?

I suppose that's a fair approximation of the economy after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home